When you can work from anywhere, where will you go?
Location-independent or remote work began even before the pandemic occurred as a niche subculture in the start-up and freelancer world. Then it was accelerated by the pandemic situation, and it has become an unstoppable work trend now.
What is a Workation?
The term “workation” is combination of the words “work” and “vacation.” It describes a new type of travel that combines two traditionally distinct concepts: working and vacation. A ‘vacation’ is a benefit provided by companies and approved by labor laws that allow employees to take several weeks off from work responsibilities while still receiving their salary.
Vacations are wonderful, but for remote workers whose employers don’t mind where they work and allow them to choose from dozens of countries to work in, the new freedom concepts are breaking down old paradigms.
A workation is defined as temporarily relocating to a desirable destination without interfering with your work commitments. Many remote workers may discover that there are global destinations that not only provide a welcome change of environment, but also a lower cost of living.
Workation Perks for Remote Workers
There are advantages to staying in one place, investing time in your community, and developing close, local bonds with family, friends, and neighbors. This is how the majority of people prefer to live.
Even if most people don’t necessarily want to travel the world for a year, many would admit that there are dream destinations they would visit for a few weeks or months if the stars align. Here are some of the reasons why people would take a workation:
- Changing your environment can help you learn about the world, feel inspired, meet new people, and make new friends.
- When your work-life routine can feel like a hamster wheel, a workation can help you evaluate what is most important to you by providing new perspectives without jeopardizing the safety and continuity of how you earn your living.
- Workations allow you to pursue and try hobbies, cultural experiences, and adventures that you might not have access to where you live.
- With the option to travel and find your rhythm as a snowbird chasing the seasonal weather you crave, workations stimulate you to become more productive and happier.
- Workations prevent you from going into retirement or quitting a job you think is burning you out. The issue may just be your daily routine and not the job. Workations allow you to make some changes to break the monotony of your work routine.
- If you are a businessperson, salesperson, or someone whose livelihood is dependent on making in-person connections, workations enable you to relocate to places where you can build and strengthen valuable contacts more meaningfully than on short business trips.
Workations may sound contrary to our expectations. After all, increased awareness of work-related mental health stressors has made us more aware of the importance of separating our professional and personal lives. However, the adaptability that we developed during the pandemic has prepared us well for a break to combine work and play. Workations resemble becoming a permanent trend that will last far beyond the pandemic, providing workers with benefits such as more opportunities to explore new places while fulfilling our day-to-day duties.
Workations will persist in remote work, based on the level of interest from workers who are now accustomed to remaining productive in a variety of settings. As long as you can deliver the best result, many companies don’t mind where you work. Companies will benefit from accommodating remote workers; it is already clear that flexibility will be critical to worker retention in the future, especially as the new generation of workers value being offered the option to work from anywhere.
If you’re looking for work flexibility and are open to exploring workation opportunities, sign up for JEDI Jobs now! It connects potential employees with global employers by providing remote work opportunities from all over the world. You can work with an international or multinational corporation without regard for location or mobility. Working remotely allows you to work from anywhere and anytime!